Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Heavy Metal Esox

The Northern Pike is the piscine equivalent of heavy metal music - aggression incarnate.

If Esox Lucius were to go on tour, Entombed, The Haunted and Trap Them would be the opening acts.

The nation of Sweden is known internationally for two things: 1) large pike and 2) death metal. Coincidence? I think not.

Ask any Loop-laden flugfisker this side of Göteborg what's on his iPod. It ain't Mumford & Sons.

The Swedes love their metal like they love their pike - dark, fast and ferocious.

Fish by Shane Thomas - Photo by Brent Wilson


Millions of perch will attest the Angel of Death is an ambush predator with flaring gills and rows of sharp teeth. I imagine the last thing they hear sounds something like this:


Reign in blood, my toothy friend.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh, what a great perspective of the fame of Sweden; large pike and death metal!!! I´m getting quite depressed of the old ABBA, Volvo & Bjorn Borg thing..... Best regards from Göteborg, Sweden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Henrik - but I must admit I love ABBA too!

      Cheers,

      Brent

      Delete