Friday, February 1, 2013

The Wednesday Night Strip Club

Chris Cutler Photo
I am losing the precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains and learn the news.”
—John Muir

Some days, it feels like that tug at the end of the line is an awakening jolt from our primal past.  Like an umbilical cord connection to hundreds of millions of years of predator-prey instinct imbedded in our DNA.  

I really needed to feel that jolt this week; to get back to what's real.

This is the only way I know how to clear my head and dispose of society's clutter and manufactured needs.

Some people have therapists.  I've got the river.

Q:  What kind of fool gets out on a cold Wednesday evening with sustained 25 m.p.h. winds to stalk trout?

A:  This kind of fool.

Chris Cutler Photo
Fortunately, I had the company of two other crazy fools and we had a pretty good outing.  Chris and I met up with Jared to target 'bows at dusk and into the night.

It was the first time I had ever fished for rainbows at night and, interestingly enough, the technique was basically the same as targeting them during the day.  

Chris Cutler with a Nice 'Bow

Unlike fishing for browns at night, skating or waking patterns were not necessary.  We slow-stripped large-profile dark streamers off the bottom and did quite well, with each of us landing some quality fish.
 
Unfortunately, the wind, cold and moisture made for lousy photo conditions and many of the shots I took were not blogworthy.

  • Getting slapped in the head by your own (barbless) streamer while casting into the wind?  Check.
  • Sliding on ice and rocks with numb feet in the dark next to deep ledges?  Check.
  •  Doing it again next week?  Check.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment